Friday, October 8, 2010

Here We Go!

Wow, I can't believe it's finally here. This time in two days, I will be on a plane headed to Nairobi! Even though I have been overseas several times now, I still get butterflies in my stomach with anticipation and a little bit of anxiety that comes with the unknown. Most of all, though, I'm excited beyond belief!

It's been a while since I've written, so I'll give a brief overview of what we've done the past week or so. Our team road-tripped to Dallas and attended the Assemblies of God Women In Ministry conference called "Conversations '10." Many of the sessions included teachings on new ministries, calling, and the roles of women in leadership. We also discussed individually and corporately the emotions and conflicts that women often experience in ministry. Overall, the conference was a wonderful experience and much needed as we embark on the journey ahead. I personally feel that I gained fresh insight and wisdom in particular areas. God began speaking to me about some dreams that I have been waiting to see come to fruition for a long time. In one session entitled "Pioneering a New Ministry," the speaker prayed over me specifically not to be intimitated by what I feel God has called me to do. I have many dreams which may seem odd to others, but she encouraged me to be obedient to Christ and never underestimate His will for my life. This was encouragement I needed to hear! My leader, Matt, also taught an incredible session we were able to attend at the A/G National Youth Leader's Conference (Momentum) on ways to show compassion in youth ministry!

Much of this past week has been spent in preparation for Kenya. We were able to meet with the Missouri State University Chi Alpha director (who is Kenyan!) for advice on cultural differences as well as a couple of lessons in Swahili. The missionary we will be working with there, Bryan Burr, also Skyped in afterwards. As we began to talk more and more about Africa and the things we will experience there, I began to realize how close we are and how real it truly is!

As we went over the tentative schedule, we discovered that we will spend the first month primarily in Nairobi working with group homes (orphanages) and assisting with various agricultural projects there. After that, we will spend time camping and working in Sambo (in the Northern Rift Valley) as well as some group homes near the border of Somalia. We will also head to Masai land, where we will primarily work on the water project as we camp in the wilderness with the tribe.

As I think about all of the various things we will encounter in Africa, my heart is overwhelmed! We've talked about everything from food to language to culture, but overall, the people are our most important priority. Hal Donaldson, the founder of Convoy of Hope, met with our team for just a few minutes to pray with us and share his vision. He shared with us about his previous trips to Nairobi's Methare Valley, one of the poorest slums in the world. After much hard work, COH was able to establish a school for many of these poverty-stricken orphans who were on the verge of hunger and death (I believe about 800?). They are fed and taught there everyday-Praise the Lord! Mr. Donaldson said that one of their last days working there, the kids lined the sidewalk clapping as he and the other workers walked through. At that moment, he was overwhelmed with feelings of thankfulness to God and accomplishment. However, as he looked to the side, he saw rows of kids peering through the fence trying to see what was going on. As he looked at these kids who are still stricken with poverty and hopelessness, God spoke to his heart with the realization that so much more is left to be done. There are many, many more out there in need of help. Even just hearing Mr. Donaldson share this story, I couldn't contain my emotions. The tears streamed down my cheeks in heavy sobs as I felt overwhelmed with the giant task ahead. My heart breaks for these people. Even though we are going to do the best we can, common sense shows us that we cannot reach everyone in need. That is why we have to tell others and keep going. My heart is overwhelmed as I think about the future and the incredible task at hand. I feel that God is beginning to move on my heart in ways I never even imagined for now and the future. Praise the Lord that He has provided this opportunitity to reach people in such desperate need!

I'm not sure how much internet access I am going to have throughout the next 7 1/2 weeks, but I am going to do my very best to keep updating on everything we see and take part in! Thank you so much for sharing with me! I couldn't do it without God and the support of those around me.

Everyone keeps telling me that once your feet touch Africa, it never leaves you. It gets in your veins. The joy of the people regardless of their circumstances, their beautiful music, the colors, the animals, all of it... I can't wait to get there and hopefully make one tiny seed of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment